Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Grad School Life: Les Misérables?


The 5th Postgraduate Student Forum Anthropology in Asia: Conceptions, Perspectives and Debates was successfully held on 18-19 Jan. We hope everyone had a good time at the forum and went back to the study recharged.


PhD Comics recently depicted another aspect of the postgraduate life in the series "Les (Really) Miserables (Grad School Edition)." Is it also reflecting your situation? Hope not!

Please feel free to sing along (in the office).

Part I  I Dreamed a Dream


There was a time when professors were kind
When their praises were soft and their words were inviting
There was a time when it all seemed exciting
Then it all went wrong

I dreamed a dream my senior year
When grades when high and life was easy
I dreamed my grad degree was near
And that one day would be leaving

But I was young and had no clue
And time was spent, procrastinated.
Now there’s no data I can use
No thesis done, my youth now wasted

And reviewers comment back
With their red pens bleeding edits
As they tear your graphs apart
As they turn your pages to shame! To shame!

I had a dream grad school would be
So different from this mess I’m living.
So different now from what it seemed
And still I have
No PhD…


For the rest of the series, please visit PhD Comics

1 comment:

  1. I cannot consider almost everything we get bothered about in life makes
    a difference. Continuously squandered taking into consideration the numerous things that people confront every day is
    undoubtedly undoubtedly necessary, as no other person will face life for us.

    Personally I think that citizens should be a whole lot more
    sane. Knowledge is fantastic, yet a lot of what we think
    about is indeed abstract. Having a cup of kava
    is a zen process that brings one back again to the
    present minute. We need to become more in the here and now, without being
    overwhelmed by our lifestyle and the theatre we encounter each day.

    ReplyDelete